mullsjö logotyp

Employed, student, provider of a service
or person with adequate means

The Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket)

If you plan to stay longer than three months in Sweden, we advise you to get in contact with the Swedish Migration Board immediately. As an EU citizen, you don’t need a residence permit to work in Sweden, but you need to register as an EU/EES citizen with the right of residence.


You can register at the Migration Board by downloading and completing the form 'Registration of right of residence', no 140011. In order to register with
the right of residence, you need a proof that you belong to one of the following categories:

• Employee
• Provider of service (for example as a free lance worker)
• Student
• Person of adequate means (a pension or other adequate means)
• Husband/wife/child of EC citizen
• Parent or child dependant on an EU/EEA-citizen living in Sweden

Read more about those criteria on


After completing the form no 140011, you can either send it by post or bring it directly to one of the Migration Board’s Permit Units in your new home town. Don’t forget to enclose the proof of you being an employee, self-employed or provider of a service and a copy of your (valid) passport or national identity card to
your application.


Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket)

After receiving your right of residence from the Swedish Migration Board, you should pay a visit to the Swedish Tax Agency in your new home town. At the tax agency, you will fill in a form in order to be registered in the population register and you will also get a Swedish personal identity number.


When you are registered in the population register, you are entitled to social benefits and child and house allowances. The registration also decides the amount of tax you will have to pay as this varies between municipalities. The Swedish personal identity number is used as identification and it will make your
everyday contacts with authorities and banks much easier.


For the visit at the Swedish Tax Agency, you should bring the proof of your right of residence, a valid passport or your national identity card, a document of your civil status and birth certificates for children moving with you.


For further information: Skatteverket


Back to the checklist

Senast uppdaterad: 2012-06-19 Ansvarig: Annika Tompa